Thursday, January 15, 2009

When I grow up.....

Do you ever have one of those days (or a whole week) where everything seems to go wrong at work? The type of work that I do is difficult anyway. It's challenging, cumbersome, and draining. I am usually upbeat and friendly. In this job - a lot of people do not like you. That's a hard thing for me to deal with. I need to be liked! I had a bad week last week...Thank goodness for my husband, Daniel, and for my family who helped to distract me. I started thinking that maybe I went to school for the wrong thing, and that maybe I shouldn't be doing what I do.

And then...a glimmer of hope. When you see people make positive changes on their own . When people thank you for being involved in their life. When you prevent someone from becoming homeless. When you can go to sleep knowing that a family is safe. Then I realize the upside of the job - it's amazing, rewarding, and humbling.

I love my job...and I plan to be there for a while. There are definitely ups and downs. I don't think I can do it forever. It takes a special person to do that. I think I am eventually supposed to do something else - I just have a "feeling." I think I will still do social work - and still work with children and families. I just feel like it will be in a different capacity.

I wonder what I will be when I grow up....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sure that you are a great social worker and I know that children in those situations need someone like you. All they know is the bad in the world and I am sure that you and your personality, make their day. :)
On a different note, I did ask my doctor about running/jogging and she said that it was fine and that I just needed to be aware of my body and if I felt tired, not to push myself too hard. Overall she said that it would be good for me though. Yay! So are we on for Saturday? Let me know....
P.S. Tomorrow is Friday. Friday is a good day. :)