Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sisters (In Law)

"A sister is a gift to the heart, a friend to the spirit, a golden thread to the meaning of life."
Growing up, I always wanted a sister. Don't get me wrong - I think I grew up with the best big brother in the world. We had our share of "incidents" - getting each other in trouble, me trying to tag along with him and his friends, and him thinking I was not "cool" enough to hang out with until I got into high school. My favorite story about my brother's "tactics" are when he carved MY name into HIS television in an attempt to get me in trouble. My parent's didn't buy it for a second. Nice try, Ryan....who DOES that?! ;)
I obviously never got the biological sister that I so desired, despite my belief that kids should be allowed to order whatever siblings they wanted. As I got older, I realized that I would eventually have a sister in law (when my brother got married), and possibly more if my husband had sisters. How exciting, right?!?
Then...you hear all these horrible stories about sisters in law. I started picturing that they could turn out like the wicked step-sisters in Cinderella. (Greaaaat!)
Well, I have to say that I lucked out!! Daniel has two sisters - Tracy and Krista. I don't see them as often because they don't live in QC, and they have busy lives of their own, but they are awesome! Daniel also has a sister-in-law, Jessica, who I (thankfully) gained as my SIL too! And then there is Chrissie, who married my brother and put up with my selfish "his primary role is no longer as my brother, but as a husband and father, and I am never going to get to see him anymore" phase.
I just wanted to let my sisters (technically SIL) know that I love them, appreciate them, and look up to them. Thank you for listening, laughing, shopping, eating, etc. with me :) I am lucky to have you in my life!!
"A best friend is a sister that destiny forgot to give you."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww. What a sweet post. I am so thankful Daniel married you. You know how I was about his "other" girlfriends! ;)

Vicki and Daniel said...

You mean the ones in the pictures of the 15 dances he went to in high school?! Lol. Julie just gave me another tub of Daniel's stuff. . . different girl at each dance. Wonderful. HAHA.